Mineral Wells Index
— By KAY MEALIO
PERRIN – The varsity basketball girls will be going on to the playoffs. I’m not sure when or where they will be playing. Their final regular game will be Tuesday, at Poolville. The boy’s varsity will play their last game Feb. 8 at Ranger.
Spring must be on the way if softball/baseball is beginning. The Lady Pirate’s softball team will play their first game of the season at Alvord on Saturday, Feb. 9, with games beginning at 11 a.m. Another scrimmage is scheduled on Monday, Feb. 11.
The first Pirate baseball scrimmage will be at Valley View on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 5 p.m.
The Perrin High School Treasurettes will be hosting a Valentine’s Ball fundraiser on Friday, Feb. 15, in the Perrin High School Cafeteria. The time for the Valentine’s Dance is 8 p.m. to midnight. The cost is $5 per person or $8 couple. Cupid has requested semi-formal attire. Anyone not attending Perrin CISD must be signed-up in the high school office no later than Wednesday, Feb. 13, to attend the ball.
The Treasurettes will also sell flowers, balloons and stuffed animals. The prices of these items vary. All orders will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis. The dance team girls will make deliveries throughout the day on Valentine’s Day. Please send orders, along with money (checks should be made to PWCISD), to the high school office, elementary school office or to Mrs. Burke’s room. For further information or to check prices on flowers, contact Mrs. Burke at the school.
At the Chili and Salsa Cook-Off, at the Perrin First Baptist church last Sunday, winners were Pat Wright who placed first for her chili and Jadyn White placing first for her green salsa. There were several entries, some exotic. This was a fundraiser for the church’s youth summer camp.
Food distribution at Perrin Advent Christian Fellowship Hall will be Saturday, Feb. 16, 9-11 a.m. Enter at the north side of the church. The church will have a canned-food distribution on the third Saturday of each month. It is located at 300 S. Marks St., in Perrin. Food is provided by the county probation office and distributed throughout the county. There are no requirements to receive food other than it is intended for people who live in the Perrin area or live within Perrin-Whitt CISD.
• The monthly Perrin-Whitt Consolidated ISD Parent-Teacher Organization meeting will be Thursday at 6 p.m. in the school’s cafeteria.
• Elementary students will acknowledge 100th day of school on Friday.
• The Area Spelling Bee will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 13, in the elementary gym, beginning at 9:30 a.m. Two students from third through eighth grades spell against Bryson ISD students. Only one winner will be allowed to advance to the Fort Worth competition.
• All elementary grades will be having their Feb. 14 Valentine’s Day parties in their classrooms.
• Five-by-7-foot individual navy-blue Perrin-Whitt Pirate flags are on sale for $15. Flags may be purchased at the school office.
• The senior driver safety class will be held on Thursday, March 7, at the Jacksboro Senior Citizens building, in Jacksboro. The class will begin at 8 a.m. and go until noon. To enroll or for more information, call Doris King at (940) 567-5431.
• Preschool library time will be the second Wednesday of each month. Every month there will be story time in the school library, 10-11 a.m. The next scheduled story time is Feb. 13. For more information, see B. J. Cox in the PWCISD Library.
Thought for the week: Some people claim their dogs are almost human – and they mean it as a compliment.